Cordless Driver vs Impact Driver: Which do you need and why.
Though cordless drills/ drivers are quite popular and are versatile in nature, the impact drivers can drive screws at an amazing speed. Both are useful tools but there are significant differences between them. Are you looking for such information to identify what’s the best pick for your task? Then, you have approached the right place.
This article will throw light on the uses and benefits of these tools so that you can pick up the right one for yourself.
Moreover, it will discuss the key differences between a cordless drill or driver and an impact driver to enlighten you. So, here you go.
Table of Contents
1.1. What is a Cordless Drill / Driver?
As the name implies; a cordless drill or driver is simply a power drill or driver that works without any cord. It is a power tool that is mostly used for drilling holes on the walls, assembling furniture, and woodworking.
It is a versatile tool that can work to a great extent as long the battery permits it to perform. You can use it anywhere even when no electric outlet is there. So, why not enjoy instant drill power even without a cord to complete your work quickly and without any work hassles?
The cordless drill/ driver reduces the labor or manpower required to finish a project. Moreover, it saves a lot of time, effort, and energy and provides great ease of comfort to its users. So, whether you want to install drywall, replace or install the screws, fix the fasteners, or perform other such tasks; a cordless drill/ driver can be of great use to you.
Do you want to know more uses of a cordless drill/ driver? Then, the following list will surely assist you. Here are a few uses of a cordless drill that will simply drive you crazy. These are:
1.2. Uses Of A Cordless Drill
1. Attaching and assembling: One of the top uses of a cordless drill/ driver includes assembling and attaching. The cordless driver/ drill is able to move or rotate in the counterclockwise direction and is a valuable device for installing or removing the screws.
2. Removing rust and grinding metal: If you do not own a handheld angle grinder then there is nothing to worry about because a cordless drill/ driver is there to facilitate you. It can easily remove rust and can act as a grinder to grind materials like metal.
3. You simply have to pick up a brush bit so that you can use it with your cordless drill/ driver and here you go. Remove the rust from iron, steel, or other household items.
4. Twisting the wires: If you are planning to twist the wires to get an equal length; just place them into your cordless drill/driver chuck and spin it. You will get your desired result.
5. Shoe polishing: One of the unusual uses of a cordless drill/driver includes shoe polishing. Simply you have to attach a shoe buffer, turn on the power drill at a lower speed, and here you go. All the shoe dirt will go away and you will get a great shine on your shoes.
6. Application in gardening: A cordless drill/driver can also act like a plant potter and it will amaze you. Instead of working with a spade; just connect a large-sized auger bit onto your drill/ driver to put a neat hole within seconds.
7. Paint mixing: Are you struggling with mixing paint to get your desired result? Then, there is no need for doing it manually. Yes, you have got that right. A cordless drill/ driver will make it easier to mix paint and your work won’t be messy. Just attach a paint stirrer with the drill/driver and do your task. Isn’t it a wiser idea?
8. Other uses: The other uses of a cordless drill/ driver include drywall installations, working as a hand crank generator, driving bolts into concrete, etc.
1.3. 5 Best Cordless Drills / Drivers:
Are you looking for the best cordless drills/ drivers to perform your work with ease of comfort?
Then, the following list is for you. Here are the 5 best cordless drills/drivers which you shouldn’t ignore in 2021. These are listed below:
- BOSCH PSR 18 LI-2 ERGONOMIC: Best cheap cordless drill/ driver.
- DEWALT 18V XR BRUSHLESS COMPACT LITHIUM-ION COMBI DRILL: Best overall cordless drill/ driver.
- WORX WX372: Best cheap and compact cordless drill/ driver.
- MAKITA DHP484RTJ 18 V LI-ION LXT BRUSHLESS COMBI DRILL: Best powerful drill/ driver.
- MILWAUKEE M18 COMPACT BRUSHLESS DRILL DRIVER: Best Heavy-duty drill/ driver.
1.4. What is an Impact Driver?
An impact driver is a compact, cordless tool that is mainly used to loosen or tighten the screws or nuts at a much faster pace than a screwdriver. The impact driver has hexagonal-shaped collets and is mostly used by professional carpenters or serious contractors.
However, with the rising popularity of doing home repairs by yourself; it is also being kept by the homeowners to perform their day-to-day tasks.
The impact driver is a powerful tool that is highly useful for cabinet makers, construction workers, or jobs that involve the use of a large number of fasteners. The impact drivers generate high torque by combining the rotational motion with a hammering action.
An impact driver has around 5 times more torque as compared to the traditional drill. Therefore, tasks that require high torque should be done with an impact driver rather than by a cordless drill/ driver.
An impact driver has a great many advantages; for instance, it adequately fits into tight spaces, acts like a self-driving screw tool, is lighter in weight, has immense power, is less likely to strip the screws, etc.
1.5. Uses of an Impact Driver:
For repetitive jobs like building a deck or hanging drywall; an impact driver is a great tool. It drives the screws at a superb speed and has more power as compared to a drill.
Do you want to know more uses of an impact driver? Then, let’s have a look at the points given below:
- Tighten and loosen screws: An impact driver is used to tighten or loosen the screws and nuts at a much faster speed as compared to a screwdriver. When tasks require high torque; an impact driver can turn out to be your best choice.
- Special tasks: If you want to drill holes and drive medium-sized screws then a regular drill is perfect for you. But, if you need to perform special tasks like building a deck, installing a plywood subfloor, a treehouse, or other tasks that require involving lots of wood screws; then, you should buy an impact driver. An impact driver is a powerful tool that will ease up your work quickly and will save your effort as well.
- Driving fasteners: An impact driver is used to drive long fasteners into hard material easily. Moreover, it can also drive the self-threading screws at a much faster speed.
- Other uses: The other uses of an impact driver include removing car brake drums, loosening over-torqued or corroded bolts, screws, or nuts, etc.
1.6. 5 Best Impact Drivers:
Are you looking for the best impact drivers to do your task? Then, here is the list for you:
- Milwaukee M18 Fuel Surge Hydraulic Impact Driver
- Makita XDT16 18V LXT Brushless Impact Driver.
- Ridgid R8723 18V Sub-Compact Impact Driver.
4. Milwaukee M12 Fuel Impact Driver.
5. Skil ID573902 PWRCore 20 Brushless Impact Driver Kit
1.7. Key Differences between a Cordless Drill/ Driver and an Impact Driver:
The main difference between a cordless drill/ driver and an impact driver lies in their use. If you need a general-purpose tool to perform your tasks then go for a drill/ driver. The impact drivers are specifically designed to drive threaded fasteners with an amazing speed.
So, for the tasks that need a high torque; it is recommended to go for an impact driver. Moreover, for softer woods, a cordless drill/ driver is simply the best choice.
However, for harder woods, masonry, concrete, and long fasteners being worked into heavy materials; an impact driver is the right pick for you.
The cordless drill/driver and impact driver are useful tools to perform certain tasks. However, each of them is specialized in its own way and you must identify your task first before you can know what’s the right pick for you. So, why not pay heed to the above-said points to ease up your work and get the best results?